Mr. Carletta is an accomplished trial attorney who joined the firm as a partner in 2018. With a seasoned understanding of federal and state government enforcement actions, he is adept at identifying core issues and providing his clients with creative solutions to address their legal needs effectively.
Mr. Carletta focuses on white-collar criminal defense, grand jury and internal investigations, crisis management, and regulatory and compliance matters.
In his previous career as an AUSA, Mr. Carletta was assigned to the National Security Unit (NSU) of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey and formerly served as NSU’s Acting Chief and District National Security Cyber Specialist. In that capacity, he worked with the United States intelligence community to help oversee sensitive and classified investigations of cyber intrusions into U.S. companies by foreign actors. Additionally, he routinely handled matters impacting the country's national security interests, including prosecuting numerous international and domestic terrorism cases. His experience also includes prosecuting traditional white-collar offenses, including tax fraud, money laundering, bank fraud, defense contracting fraud, export violations, immigration fraud, and major fraud against the U.S. government. Before his work in the National Security Unit, Mr. Carletta served in the Office's Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force, where he investigated and prosecuted large-scale, international narcotics trafficking networks, as well as the unlawful distribution of prescription opiates by medical and pharmaceutical organizations.
During his tenure as an AUSA, Mr. Carletta was honored by the U.S. Attorney General, the Director of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the Federal Law Enforcement Foundation for the successful prosecutions of cases involving the unlawful export of sensitive electronics components to entities affiliated with Russian military and intelligence services, as well as the illicit manufacture and sale of weapons of mass destruction on the Darkweb.
Before joining the U.S. Attorney's office in 2005, Mr. Carletta worked as an assistant district attorney in Brooklyn, New York. Following his employment with the Kings County District Attorney's office, he was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army's Judge Advocate General's Corps. He served with distinction as a prosecutor and legal advisor for the 3d Infantry Division, Division Artillery Brigade. In 2003, Mr. Carletta was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his meritorious service and wartime contributions during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Represented company with expansive network of senior living and rehabilitation facilities in connection with DOJ investigation of healthcare fraud and False Claims Act allegations concerning Medicare billing.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in connection with DOJ investigation of healthcare fraud allegations concerning the NJ State Health Benefits Program.
- Represented maritime equipment and services company owner in connection with DOJ investigation and prosecution of defense contracting fraud.
- Represented manufacturing company in connection with NJ State Attorney General’s Office criminal investigation of alleged environmental violations.
- Represented global equipment sales and services company in connection with joint federal-state COVID-19 Fraud Task Force investigation of alleged price-gouging scheme.
- Represented physician in connection with DOJ investigation and prosecution of unlawful opioid distribution.
- Represented NJ State employee in connection with DOJ investigation and prosecution of healthcare fraud involving compounded medications.
- Represented healthcare provider in connection with DOJ investigation and prosecution of alleged Medicare beneficiary referral scheme.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Honors & Awards
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America© list for Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2022-2023)
- Included in New Jersey Super Lawyers® list (2021-2023) for Criminal Defense: White Collar (conferred by Thomson Reuters)
- Recipient, Federal Law Enforcement Foundation Prosecutor of the Year Award (2017) for the successful investigation and prosecution of individuals who fraudulently utilized the Student Exchange Visitor Program to engage in white-collar alien smuggling and harboring unauthorized aliens for commercial profit
- Recipient, Attorney General's Award (2016), and Federal Law Enforcement Foundation Prosecutor of the Year Award (2015), acknowledging the successful investigation and prosecution of individuals who smuggled over $65 million in sensitive electronics components to entities affiliated with Russian military and intelligence services
- Included in The National Trial Lawyers in Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in New Jersey list, 2021
- Recipient, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director's Award (2015) and Federal Law Enforcement Foundation Prosecutor of the Year Award (2015) for the successful investigation and prosecution of individuals who distributed deadly toxins and trafficked firearms over encrypted, internet based platforms
- Recipient, New Jersey Law Enforcement Award from the NJ Bias Crime Officer's Association (2013), for the district's first prosecution under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act, resulting in the convictions of three white supremacists accused of race- based assaults
- Recipient of New York/New Jersey Regional OCDETF Awards for investigation and prosecution of large scale international narcotics distribution networks in Operation La Turista (2010) and Operation Red Line (2008)
- Awarded Bronze Star Medal for Meritorious Service, Operation Iraqi Freedom (2003)
No aspect of the advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the New York State Court of Appeals. Click here to view Awards/Honors Methodology.
Memberships & Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Heckel Inn of Court
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey; Assistant U.S. Attorney; 2005-2018
- U.S. Army, Judge Advocate General’s Corps; Captain/Trial Counsel; 2001-2004
- Kings County District Attorney’s Office, Brooklyn, New York; Assistant District Attorney; 2000-2001