Mr. Van Lieu currently serves as a leader of the Firm’s Toxic and Mass Tort Practice Group. In that capacity, he is responsible for developing and effectuating diverse client strategies and defenses involving traditional exposures and emerging theories of liability. He has worked with high-profile clients and prominent national firms serving as Coordinating Counsel to ensure impeccable trial preparation. He has devised and implemented strategic litigation planning to develop evidential support for the presentation of client messaging and has engaged in aggressive in limine practice to limit the evidence available to plaintiffs in support of their claims. He has written and argued numerous motions before the presiding New Jersey Asbestos Judge, including obtaining many successful dispositive outcomes.
Mr. Van Lieu is an active member of the Asbestos Advisory Committee, regularly meeting with the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, J.S.C. regarding the implementation of litigation-wide policies and procedures. He was previously an Associate at the law firm of Picillo Caruso O’Toole, P.C.
- Negotiated numerous dismissals of mass tort actions for diverse clientele leveraging intricate knowledge involving an array of specific client defenses and relevant legal authority.
- Served as local counsel on trial teams for a Fortune 500 Company in multiple trial proceedings before the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi.
- Argued critical motions in New Jersey talc litigation on diverse issues.
- Coordinated with defense group on formulation of arguments regarding multiple docket-wide issues argued before the Appellate Division and on petition to the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- As member of the NJ Asbestos Advisory Committee, coordinated with key members of the Defense and Plaintiffs Bars as well as the Hon. Ana C. Viscomi, J.S.C. and Special Master Agatha Dzikiewicz to effectuate amendments to the Middlesex County Asbestos Litigation General Order.
- Leveraged jurisdictional knowledge and expertise to negotiate numerous resolutions for diverse clientele at settlement values far below historical demands.
- Successfully argued a motion to join The Manville Personal Injury Settlement Trust as a third-party defendant for allocation purposes pursuant to New Jersey’s Comparative Negligence Act.
Membership & Affiliation
- New Jersey Asbestos Advisory Committee
- Hon. Sidney Reiss, J.S.C.