Ms. DeMuro represents employers before state courts and administrative agencies on matters involving employment discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge, breach of contract, and wage and hour claims. She also counsels clients on a broad spectrum of labor and employment matters, including statutory, regulatory, and policy developments, worker classification, wage and hour compliance, labor relations, reasonable accommodations, and disciplinary actions and terminations. Additionally, she conducts investigations on behalf of employers, including investigations related to allegations of discrimination, harassment, conflicts of interest, and other alleged violations of internal rules and procedures.
Ms. DeMuro joined O'Toole Scrivo after serving as Senior Counsel to Governor Chris Christie. As Senior Counsel, she advised the Governor on various legal, legislative, and regulatory issues in labor and civil service law, human services, children and families, and information technology.
Before working in the Office of the Governor, Ms. DeMuro served as a deputy attorney general at the New Jersey Division of Law, Employment Counseling and Labor section. In that capacity, she acted as primary counsel, representing state agencies and colleges and universities in disputes involving contractual grievances, unfair labor practices, employment compliance, major disciplines, and wage and hour compliance.
With her significant prior experience as a government attorney, Ms. DeMuro helps clients navigate the ever-evolving labor and employment statutory and regulatory landscape. She works with clients in myriad industries to comply with the current laws and anticipate changes that could impact their workforce and future operations.
- Obtained summary judgment in Superior Court of New Jersey on behalf of an employer on claims of retaliation in violation of CEPA.
- Successfully petitioned the Supreme Court of New Jersey and obtained reversal of Appellate Division's decision that had reversed the Civil Service Commission's upholding of the termination of a municipal police officer.
- Obtained summary judgment in Superior Court of New Jersey on behalf of employer on claims of gender discrimination under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.
- Conducted numerous investigations on behalf of multiple clients into allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2019-2021) in Employment & Labor: Employer
Membership & Affiliation
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Executive Committee, Labor & Employment Section (Law School Liaison Committee)
- Senior Counsel to the Governor, 2017-2018
- Assistant Counsel to the Governor, 2015-2017
- Deputy Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General, Division of Law, 2013-2015
- Hon. Jose L. Fuentes, P.J.A.D.
- Hon. Mary Catherine Cuff, P.J.A.D. (t/a), N.J. Supreme Court