Ms. Mejia is an accomplished attorney with experience in private practice and public service. Before joining the firm, Ms. Mejia served as a Board Trustee to the West New York Board of Education, where she evaluated and approved the school district’s shared services contracts, annual budget, and negotiated a teacher’s union’s contract involving over 8,000 enrolled students and over 500 faculty members. She was also responsible for participating in the hiring and disciplinarian actions involving school personnel.
Ms. Mejia advises clients on a wide range of insurance defense issues, as well as labor and employment matters. She is a passionate advocate who identifies critical issues without losing sight of the clients’ overall objectives. Ms. Mejia is well versed in the discovery and oral argument process in both New Jersey and New York courts. She also performs departmental disciplinary hearings and investigations as to various employment disputes and sexual harassment allegations, in addition to providing annual sexual harassment training seminars to her clients to ensure compliance with federal and state guidelines.
In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Mejia serves on the firm’s interview, training, and website design committees. She is fluent in Spanish.
- Dvorak, et al. v. Joseph M. McCarthy, et al. – Index No. 506785/2016: Successfully obtained a dismissal on a motion for summary judgment for a client that owned a three-family residential building pursuant to the liability exemption under Section 7-210 of the Administrative Code of the City of New York.
- IMO of E.D. and the Union City Department of Public Works: Successfully negotiated a settlement agreement where a City employee was transferred to a non-driving position after the City presented its case in-chief in a departmental hearing, where the City employee was involved in a seven-motor vehicle accident while in the course of the employment.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Honors & Awards
- Leading by Example Award for International Women’s Day, presented by the Town of West New York, New Jersey
- Included in Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2023) for General Litigation (conferred by Thomson Reuters)
No aspect of the advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the New York State Court of Appeals. Click here to view Awards/Honors Methodology.
Memberships & Affiliations
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Appointed Member, Membership Committee
- Essex County Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Historian (2022-2023)
- New York City Bar Association
- Appointed Board Member, West New York Planning Board, 2018
- Elected Board Member, West New York Board of Education, 2014-2017
- Hon. Martin G. Cronin, J.S.C.